Tuesday 1 March 2011

Underwater Research For Atrium Sculpture

I've become really interested in underwater formations, and think some of them would really work when recreated with paper.  The reason i chose to look at research to do with underwater was because of the colours (blues) and how you could try anything, from the flowing of waves to the scales on fish.


Firstly i looked at waves because of the curved shapes they make.  I also like the different shades of blue - it gives the image (could give a sculpture) depth!




Next I looked at coral and was interested at how much there was and all the shapes blend together.



I then looked at fish and the tropical ones really inspired me because their stripes get smaller the closer they get to the mouth of the fish. The gold fish looked kind of boring compared to the tropical ones and I don't think they would work as well.






I also looked at scales because i like the shape and the way they overlap.



Development:
I chose to use scales for my final paper sculpture for the atrium (all previous ideas and thumbnails have been documented in my sketchbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment